Anita Simmonds, Académie's National Director of Training
With summer in full swing, Anita Simmonds, Académie's National Director of Training
, has some words of wisdom about the myths associated with sun protection, some interesting facts about sun damage and some sun safe tips for getting through summer.SUN MYTH # 1It is safe to stay out in the sun as long as you reapply sunscreen every two hours.
It's never safe to stay out in the sun. The length of protection offered by a sunscreen depends on two factors, the amount of time it takes for an individual to get burnt and the Sun Protection Factor (SPF). For example, it takes about 10 minutes to burn without protection, an SPF of 8 will give you about one hour and 20 minutes of protection (10 mins x 8). If you intend to stay out in the sun, take into consideration the over lap time. It takes roughly 20 minutes for sunscreen to prepare the skin for protection. Anita recommends using the highest SPF possible and reapplying every hour.SUN MYTH # 2
You don't need to wear sunscreen if you're going to be inside all day.
About 20 per cent of all sun damage is incurred lying on the beach. The other 80 per cent happens walking to the shops, driving in the car, sitting beside a window. UVA rays are also emitted by fluorescent lights and computer screens, so constant protection is essential.SUN MYTH # 3Using an SPF 30+ means I'm totally protected from the sun.
Not really, SPF 30+ (the highest legal SPF allowed in Australia) only protects the skin from 96 percent of the sun's rays. So the only real way of guaranteeing you are totally protected from the sun is by covering up from head to toe. The Cancer Council recommends wearing protective clothing, a hat and sunglasses as well as sunscreen when exposed to the sun.SUN MYTH # 4If you can't feel the heat of the sun, you wont get burnt.
Definitely wrong. UV light can't be seen or felt and its level can be just as high on cloudy days as when it's sweltering. On cloudy days, the skin is exposed to fewer UVB rays but 65 per cent of the sun's damaging (UVA) rays can penetrate both clouds and glass. An unsuspecting person without broad spectrum sunscreen will burn whilst driving on a cloudy day.SUN MYTH # 5If you wear a foundation with an SPF, then you don't need to also wear sunscreen.
False. Most foundations that contain sun protection, do not offer broad spectrum protection from UVA and UVB rays. The type of protection offered by foundations also depends on whether the ingredients create a physical sunscreen or chemical sunscreen. Physical sunscreens act as a physical block, they reflect or scatter UV rays, chemical sunscreens absorb UV rays, lowering their energy levels and releasing the energy as heat. It's important to always wear a broad spectrum sunscreen, even if wearing a foundation with SPF.SUN MYTH # 6People with dark skin are already protected from the sun.
Not true. Everyone, regardless of their skin type needs protection from the sun. Darker skin does have more natural protection from the sun than lighter skin but it still needs lots of protection. Just like light-skinned people, dark-skinned people are at risk for skin cancer, wrinkles and permanent skin damage.SUN MYTH # 7Solariums are a safer way to get a tan.
The idea that solariums are "safe" is terribly misleading. Solariums don't usually cause sunburn because only about 5 per cent of the rays from a solarium are UVB, which causes redness. The other 95 per cent are UVA rays, which are primarily responsible for premature ageing and skin cancer.For additional information about Académie visit www.academiebeaute.comCLICK HERE to read some interesting facts about sun damage and some sun safe tips for getting through summer.
Also read this article on Laser Cosmetic Dermatologist in Sydney.