Get Summer Ready with James Duigan
With summer now in our sights – we wanted to share with you some top tips from wellness expert and celebrity trainer – James Duigan.
Exercise 1: One legged plank
1. Lie face down on the floor with forearms and elbows touching the floor, hips and legs on the ground.
2. Raise hips and set the core, keeping your head aligned with your upper back and hips. Imagine a straight line from your head to your ankles.
3. Lift one leg off the floor so the foot hovers about a few centimetres off the floor and the hip stays level.
4. Hold your body off the floor.
5. Slowly lower your body to the floor for 10 seconds.
6. Repeat using the opposite leg.
Exercise 2: A Hip Extension
1. Lay on your back with your knees bent and heels on the ground and your toes pointing up
2. Lift your hips off the ground 20 times, not letting your bottom touch the ground on the way down.
3. With your hips still lifted (your body should be in a straight line off the floor), raise one knee up and lower it 10 times. Repeat the same thing with the other knee lifted.
Exercise 3: Standing Y + T
1. Bend your legs and stick your bottom out
2. Keep your back and head all in a straight line, shoulders down and keep the tummy tight.
3. Bring both arts alongside your ears in a straight line 15 times making a Y
4. Everything is the same with the T but bend down a little further to bring your arms to the side, making a T.
Exercise 4: Push up from Feet
1. Set hands one and a half shoulder widths apart and in line with your nipples, NOT your shoulders, legs straight with your weight distributed through the hands and toes.
2. Keep your ears, shoulders and hips in alignment.
3. Contract your stomach muscles and lower yourself so your nose almost touches the ground, keep your body straight and lift up to the starting position.
4. Keep your head up and belly button drawn in.
5. Breath out as you push up to the start position, and breathe in as you lower yourself down.